Orange Essential Oil
Oranges are some of the most loved fruits in the world because of their taste and uplifting scent. The peels from the juiced oranges are used to make Orange Essential Oil, which is very versatile and has many benefits in perfume making, cosmetic industry and it’s even known as an aphrodisiac.
Due to the nice and uplifting scent, the Orange Essential Oil is one of the so-called „feel good” oils and has shown promising health benefits supported by preliminary research.
Orange Essential Oil may have an antidepressant effect on the central nervous system, including improving chronic stress, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, suggests research at George Washington University. (1*)
Chronic bronchitis is an obstructive pulmonary disease and airway mucus hypersecretion is a key feature in most. In several in vitro studies, the anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties of Orange Essential Oil have been confirmed. (2*)
Another study on 20 female university students found that olfactory „stimulation by orange oil induces physiological and psychological relaxation”. (3*)
19 essential oils, including Orange Oil, were tested against four gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus vulgaris) and two gram-positive bacteria Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus at four different concentrations. They exhibited a significant inhibitory effect against the tested bacteria. (4*)
1. Potential benefits:
- Natural antibacterial ingredient;
- Immunity stimulator and energizer;
- Anti-inflammatory effect;
- Pain reducer for muscles and joints;
- Good for anxiety and mood booster;
- Mild aphrodisiac properties;
- Helps with oral hygiene;
- Facilitates better sleep;
- Improve chronic stress, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorders.
2. How to use orange essential oil
Orange Essential Oil blends well with other citrus essential oils (Lemon, Grapefruit, Lime) and spiced ones like Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Black pepper. Frankincense, Sandalwood and Vetiver can also be good blend options.
Make your DIY spritz by adding essential oil to water and spray into the room. DO NOT use citrus essential oils (Orange, Lemon etc) with an ultrasonic diffuser, as it can potentially damage it!
You can make your house smell like fall or winter with Orange Essential Oil scent – citrus oils mix well with spicier ones like Cinnamon and/ or ginger. Citrus oil energizes and boosts the mood, stimulates immunity and is generally good for anxiety prevention.
Topically: mix Orange essential oil with a Carrier Oil such as Coconut, Jojoba, Almond or Grape seed.
DIY beauty products: due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, the Orange Essential Oil is a good choice for the beauty routine. It has potential anti-aging properties, due to its ability to absorb Vitamin C, collagen production, improve blood flow and help smooth wrinkles and fine lines, lightens the appearance of scars. It can also help brighten up your complexion and protect it during winter time.
Body and face exfoliating scrub – for exfoliating dead skin and improve circulation, make a scrub with brown sugar. You may also use lemon essential oil too, for a more potent effect.
- 1 cup of sugar;
- 1/2 cup (4 oz or 120 ml) of carrier oil (you can use Olive, Coconut, Grape Seed, Almond);
- 40 drops of Orange Essential Oil;
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional).
Put the mix in a jar, keep it in the fridge and use for 3-6 months.
Lip balm: blend equal parts of cocoa and shea butter and put a few drops of Orange Essential Oil. Put in a bottle recipient and store it in the fridge.
Face toner: 3 drops of Orange Essential Oil + 3 drops of Rose Essential Oil + 1 oz (30 ml) witch hazel / distilled water.
DIY household products:
Multi-purpose house cleaner: use for kitchen and bathroom surfaces, microwave and refrigerator cleaner.
Citrus oils are natural disinfectants that kill bacteria and germs and leave a fresh, invigorating scent. Put a few Orange Essential Oil drops in a solution of water, vinegar and baking soda and use it as a multi-purpose cleaner. For a stronger effect, also add Lemon Essential Oil.
- 3/4 cup (6 oz or 180 ml) vinegar;
- 1 cup (8 oz or 240 ml) distilled water;
- 10 drops Orange Essential Oil;
- 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil;
- 1 tbsp baking soda.
Add all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake them well to blend homogeneously.
3. Safety and precautions
Besides considering the general safety precautions applicable for all essential oils (click here), you should take the following concerns with lavender essential oil in particular:
- Citrus oils can increase the effects of UV light exposure on the skin, so it’s advisable to avoid sunlight for up to 12 hours before applying it topically.
- DO NOT use citrus essential oils (Orange, Lemon etc) with an ultrasonic diffuser, as it can potentially damage it!
Studies and Research:
- Orange essential oil may improve symptoms of PTSD, say researchers.
- Anti-inflammatory effects of myrtol standardized and other essential oils on alveolar macrophages from patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Effects of olfactory stimulation with rose and orange oil on prefrontal cortex activity.
- In vitro antibacterial activity of some plant essential oils.