As we age, our skin loses elasticity and firmness, causing fine lines to appear around the eyes, mouth and on the forehead and neck. Skin dryness is the #1 cause of wrinkles, so we need to hydrate our skin daily.
Free radicals are also a cause of (premature) aging. The best anti-aging advice is to wear sunscreen all the time, even during winter. Sun, stress, pollution, smoking are factors that contribute to the premature skin aging.
Although there are many cosmetic products that fight the signs of aging, essential oils do it in a more natural way. They do not eliminate wrinkles completely, but they may reduce their appearance. Essential oils prevent skin mutations when cells are exposed to the sun or pollution, which may contribute to losing skin elasticity and collagen, but also skin spots.
How to take care of your skin to prevent aging, a natural way to turn back the clock:
- Avoid sunlight exposure, unless you’re wearing a 30+ UV protection;
- Stay hydrated – drink at least 2L water daily;
- Hydrate and moisturize complexion daily;
- Reduce stress;
- Eat fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants to fight free radicals;
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
What are the best anti-aging essential oils? Most essential oils have positive benefits on skincare, however there are some particular ones that stand out to fight the signs of premature aging and prevent and smoothen wrinkles:
- Jojoba Oil – is a versatile carrier oil, that most resembles the structure of the skin, recommended for people with sensitive skin too. It’s also considered the superfood for skin and is linked with treating wrinkles and improving the skin elasticity. In a 2013 review, researchers summarized that “jojoba has anti-inflammatory effect[s] and it can be used on a variety of skin conditions including skin infections, skin aging, as well as wound healing” (1*);
- Argan Oil – is rich in essential fatty acids and has moisturizing, anti-aging and help reduce wrinkles visibility, especially the ones around the eyes. The high essential fatty acids content helps increase skin elasticity and tightens the pores;
- Basil Oil – helps keep free radicals in check, has strong antimicrobial properties and can even reduce the appearance of minor wrinkles;
- Pomegranate Seed Oil – has powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce oxidative stress, associated with the signs of premature aging. They can help prevent and smoothen wrinkles and reduce the appearance of sunspots;
- Frankincense Oil – has excellent skin properties, known for removing scars and stretch marks (2*), wrinkles and other blemishes;
- Oregano Oil – is an essential oil that has earned a reputation as a solid treatment for wrinkles. It also helps keep free radicals in check and is one oil that you must include in your beauty kit, to rotate or use in DIY skin care blends;
- Lavender Oil – you should consider including lavender oil in your beauty kit as its versatility is hardly matched. It has relaxing, anti-inflammatory properties and helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines;
- Thyme Oil – has anti-inflammatory properties and helps keep free radicals in check. Applying it topically may help treat acne, burns, dermatitis, fungal infections, eczema and other skin problems;
- Rosehip Oil – has significant anti-aging benefits for your face, reduces scars and wrinkles, prevents the advancements of wrinkles and ageing.
Note, essential oils should be diluted in a carrier oil before applying them on your skin.
Essential oils can be included in your current skincare products such as:
- mild soaps;
- face masks.
You should take into consideration both the precautions with using essential oils, as well as the appropriate dilution guidelines.