We all dream about the glowing skin and hair we see on TV and social media. A lot of celebrities nowadays are turning to essential oils as more natural solutions for improving signs of skin health and texture, vitality and elasticity and reverse the signs of aging. Gwyneth Paltrow, Victoria Beckham, Jennifer Lopez, Alanis Morrisette, Miranda Kerr and more using essential oils in their beauty routines.
High quality, pure essential oils can benefit a lot to the skin. Essential oils have earned their spot among celebrities’ preferences, due to their benefits and natural, non-harsh ingredients.
Why should you add essential oils to your beauty routine? Simply because, after seeing their benefits, you cannot but fall in love with them! And if you haven’t already used them and see the results for yourself, you should, as they are natural and have a pleasant fragrance that qualifies them as key components of a good skincare routine! Having healthy skin and hair is not only important for the way we look and “the face we show to the world”, but for our health too. We need an intact barrier to protect us from the microorganisms that can otherwise penetrate the skin and cause body infections.
It is important to develop consistent habits in order to benefit from healthy, young and glowing skin at any age. Studies have shown that a good skincare routine and a healthy lifestyle is the best way to slow the signs of aging.
So what makes the essential oils really essential? Essential oils are very versatile and can be powerful weapons in your beauty kit, helping treat a variety of skin and hair conditions.
It’s recommended to buy only quality, therapeutic-grade essential and carrier oils from trusted brands. Ideally, they should be cold-pressed, organic and preservatives-free. The better the quality, the more nutrients they should have and offer more benefits to the skin.
Best Essential Oils for Hair Care
There are a number of benefits that essential oils can do for your hair, i.e. to thicken your hair, remove dandruff, moisturize the scalp, strengthen and give shine and volume to hair, improve hair structure.
- Lavender Essential Oil can help speed hair growth. Its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties can improve scalp health. Mix 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil into 3 tablespoons of carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil), apply to your scalp, leave it for 5-15 minutes and shampoo as you normally would.
- Peppermint Essential Oil can cause a cold feeling, as it increases circulation in the area where it’s applied to and promotes hair growth. Mix 2 drops of peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil, apply it to your scalp, leave it for 5-15 minutes before washing it out with shampoo.
- Rosemary Essential Oil helps improve both hair thickness and growth, cellular generation and it is believed to be one of the best oils for hair growth. Mix several drops of rosemary essential oil with olive or coconut oil, apply it on the scalp and leave it for 5-15 minutes before washing it out with shampoo.
- Cedarwood Essential Oil stimulates hair growth by balancing the oil-producing glands in the scalp. Its antibacterial properties can help with various conditions that may contribute to dandruff or hair loss, including treating alopecia areata. You can also try a mixture of lavender, rosemary and cedarwood essential oils, combined with a carrier oil like olive, coconut, jojoba etc.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil proved to be effective as an anti-dandruff treatment, especially when used daily. Put 2-3 drops, massage it into your scalp, shampoo and rinse with water. One study indicated that lemongrass is an effective natural remedy for treating dandruff and the hair tonic formulation with 10% lemongrass oil seems to be the most effective preparation out of the tested concentrations (5, 10, 15%).
- Thyme Essential Oil helps promote hair growth and, like cedarwood oil, was found to be effective in treating alopecia areata.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil has similar properties to lavender and rosemary oils. It has the ability to increase cellular metabolism, helps promote hair growth, increase hair length and strength and makes it more difficult to break.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil has powerful antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that helps with hair growth. The cool effect stimulates circulation and the hair follicles to grow.
- Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil is appropriate for people who have dry scalps, as it can stimulate sebum production, improve hair texture and reduce breakage. Mix 5 drops of ylang-ylang oil with 2 tablespoons of warm carrier oil, massage it into your scalp, leave it for about 30-50 minutes before washing out.
- Castor Oil is made from the seeds of the plant Ricinus communis. Its antiviral and antimicrobial properties make it a popular treatment for dermatosis and fungal infections. Castor oil is also well-known as being a promotor for hair, lashes and eyebrows growth.
Best Essential Oils for Skin Care
No matter your complexion type, there’s an essential oil out there that’s suitable for your particular skin type and problems. You just need to get your information right and experiment with different oil scents and blends!
Essential oils properties range from fighting the signs of aging, increasing skin elasticity, reduce the effects of skin aging, improve complexion appearance, fighting acne, create a smooth skin effect and wrinkles, reduce scarring related to acne, smoothen and brighten skin appearance, improve skin vitality. Some essential oils are indicated even for more serious skin concerns like aging, eczema, psoriasis, acne.
Essential Oils by Skin Type:
For Oily Skin, use oils that tend to balance and normalize the oil production: citrus (orange, lemon, lime, bergamot, lemongrass), geranium, cypress, cedarwood, lavender, patchouli, rosemary, tea tree, bergamot, eucalyptus, frankincense.
Carrier oils: jojoba oil, grapeseed, for sensitive, oily skin.
For Acne, Breakouts, and Blemishes, try the following essential oils: melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree), geranium, lavender, vetiver, patchouli, cedarwood, rosemary, eucalyptus, lemon.
Carrier oil: jojoba.
For Dry, Chapped Skin try rosehip, cedarwood, geranium, sandalwood, roman chamomile, lavender, ylang-ylang, neroli, rose, patchouli, myrrh.
Carrier oils: deeply moisturizing oils like shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, apricot kernel, grape seed, rosehip seed, argan oil are good choices.
For Combination Skin: use patchouli, lavender, bergamot, orange.
Carrier oil: jojoba
For Aging Skin and Wrinkles: essential oils can help fight the signs of aging, such as wrinkles and dry skin. Try lavender, ylang-ylang, patchouli, sandalwood, frankincense, rose, cypress, rosemary, myrrh, pomegranate.
Carrier oils: argan oil, rosehip oil, apricot kernel.
For Red Marks and Dark Spots: lavender, lemon, frankincense.
Carrier oils: jojoba oil as it closely mimics sebum, the skin’s natural oil. It absorbs easily into the skin and doesn’t clog pores.
For Sensitive Skin: roman chamomile, lavender, rose.
Best Carrier Oil: jojoba.
For All Skin Types: pomegranate, lavender, ylang-ylang, frankincense.
Carrier oils: jojoba oil as it closely mimics sebum, the skin’s natural oil. It absorbs easily in the skin and doesn’t clog pores.
10 Most Popular Essential Oils for Skin Care and their Benefits
- Geranium Essential Oil: used to treat acne, aging skin, dermatitis, eczema. It helps regulate oil production and reduces acne breakouts, helps to smoothen skin and the appearance of wrinkles.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: used for acne-prone skin, aging skin, balances oil production, regenerates skin cells, smoothes lines and wrinkles and improves skin elasticity. Good for all skin types.
- Hemp Seed Oil: is used to treat eczema and psoriasis.
- Neroli Essential Oil: is good for oily, sensitive and mature skin, smoothes wrinkles. It has antiseptic properties that balance oil production and shrinks the appearance of pores, helps treat acne, reduces scars associated with acne.
- Rose Essential Oil: suitable especially for dry or aging skin, manages skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil: Known for its anti-acne properties, helps regulate oil production and its antibacterial properties prevents acne to form.
- Lavender Essential Oil: is good for mature skin since it helps regenerate it, helps with scarring, aging skin, moisturizes, treats acne and blemishes. Good for all skin types.
- Myrrh Essential Oil: improves skin tone, elasticity, reduces the appearance of wrinkles, treats chapped skin, eczema, aging skin, reduces scarring.
- Patchouli Essential Oil: particularly good for aging skin, smoothes the appearance of lines and wrinkles, improves skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, acne, and psoriasis.
- Chamomile Essential Oil: can treat acne, eczema, inflammation, rosacea, improves the skin appearance making it look younger, moisturized and blemish-free.
How to Use Essential Oils in Your Beauty Routine
For your Hair Care Routine: Mix 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil into 3 tablespoons of carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil), apply to your scalp, leave it for 5-15 minutes and shampoo as you normally would.
As Hair Thickener:
- 1 1/2 ounces jojoba oil;
- 1 1/2 ounces grapeseed oil;
- 30 drops pure cedarwood essential oil;
- 30 drops pure rosemary essential oil;
- 30 drops pure sage essential oil.
For Hair Growth:
- 2 – 3 drops tea tree essential oil;
- 2 tbsp castor oil;
- Mix action time: 30 minutes, then shampoo out.
Skin Care – Face Exfoliator and Body Scrub:
- 1 tbsp olive/ almond/ jojoba oil;
- 1 cup white/brown sugar;
- 1/2 cup baking soda;
- 10 drops essential oil (singular or blend);
- Mix the following ingredients and apply them on your clean face. Sugar acts as an exfoliant, the olive oil moisturizes the skin and the chamomile relaxes and soothes the skin.
Some essential oils can make the skin more sensitive to the sun, including but not limited to citrus essential oils (orange, lemon, grapefruit, bergamot). It’s recommended to apply the oils before going to bed so that the skin is not exposed to the sun.
It’s important to choose high quality, premium, pure essential oils, especially if you plan to use them on your face. AromaTech Premium Essential Oils, Rocky Mountain Oils and doTerra Essential Oils are quality brands you should consider. Organic formulas are the best.
Which essential oils are part of your beauty routine or you consider to buy in the near future?
Studies and Research: